Harry Browne, in his book The Secret of Selling Anything, Browne presents a 5-step formula that has given the advertising industry a new perspective. Browne has created a method of selling as a service. Find out what the customer wants, and help him get it.
- Discover the prospect’s motivation. Ask questions. Make time and effort to listen to the problems and demands of the prospect. It is important to identify, or help him to identify, his motivation, this will lead to the next step of the process.
- Summarize the motivation. Repeat the motivation of the buyer back to him, and agree with it. Define it to him or her and give them an opportunity to agree. This builds a unique trust, the buyer now feels significant because the salesperson took the time to listen to and make an effort to understand his motivation.
- Present your product (or service) based on his wants. At this point, the buyer wants to know if the product will fulfill their needs. They do not care about ALL the revolutionary features this product or service includes. Present the relevant benefits that will motivate the buyer first. The salesperson needs to focus on the buyer’s motivation, and present it based on what the buyer needs to achieve.
- Answer his questions. Most buyers will have objections and doubts, it is the job of the salesperson to help the buyer understand the offer. Do not ever twist the truth, give them real facts. It is crucial that the salesperson knows the product or service, and is willing to go out of the way to answer the prospect’s questions.
- Close the sale. End the process with a call to action, and continue to answer any questions that might arise. If the product or service fulfills the prospect’s needs, this final step should be easy.
This basic process has been proven to attain loyal customers. The focus of the sale should be on the benefit that satisfies the needs of the buyer.